The research areas of the Department are the following:
- Physics of materials.
- Plasma physics.
- Theoretical nuclear physics.
- Condensed matter physics.
- Computational physics.
- Physics education.
The department professors are affiliated to the following research groups, funded by the Portuguese Science Foundation (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia):
- CEFT – Transport Phenomena Research Center. Paulo Sá
- CENTRA – Center for Astrophysics and Gravitation. Paulo Garcia
- CF-UM-UP – Physics Center of Minho and Porto Universities. Luís Martelo
- IPFN – Institute for Plasmas and Nuclear Fusion. Carlos Daniel Pintassilgo, Francisco Salzedas.
- LAETA – Associate Laboratory of Energy, Transports and Aeronautics. Helena Braga, Joana Espain, Diana Urbano
- CFisUC – Physics Center of the University of Coimbra. Maria José Marques.